Skip to main content

Costume Crunch!


I was taking my time making a new dress for church this week. When Wed. I get an email from Sonja wanting mini skirt belly dance costumes for her and Rach for an upcoming photo shoot we are doing on Sunday...
well... I can turn out some costumes when I want... but I haven't got all the 'stuff' I need to make the costumes...
haven't researched out what 'vision' they have for a costume.. haven't put together what I think works and let them approve before I start...
But here I am trying to pull 2 modern mini skirt belly dance costumes out of thin air!
I'm feeling very Project Runway!
To the left is what I have of Sonja's so far.... which I like... and I'm kinda wishing it was mine! I'm loving the color scheme and the use of black fancy net fabric. The cut outs on the side will more than likely have to be hand beaded.. which will be the main time consuming thing to do. It really needs to be "peppered" with rhinestones and I'm afraid I'm not going to have enough... we'll see... I have made a sexy black net gauntlet to go with it that I really do what to keep..
I am limited with this fabric though (scrap stash!) and don't think I'll have enough for me to keep one! Thats the problem with making stuff for other people.. I always want to keep what I make!
Breaks over, back to work.

Popular posts from this blog

Tunisian and Tapestry crochet on the hooks

It seems that no matter what or how many projects I have going one is always Tunisian and one is always a tapestry or fair isle type with color changes or pictures.  I love this tapestry handbag. It’s going to be The perfect bag for October!! The pattern was included in a booklet that cane with a Simply Crochet magazine from the UK. It’s eating a lot of yarn so Caron one pound yarn is perfect! Cause there’s a lot of it and it’s an easy care for acrylic. Handbags tend to get thrown around a lot so washable with all this white is super important when I was choosing a yarn.  I’ll be adding a liner too. And pockets .. I can not have a bag without inside pockets!  For oh so long I’ve wanted to try the double hook Tunisian technique. I have Lily Chins dvd on it but she’s way over my head at this point! This simple pattern is in Interweave crochet magazine fall 2018. Great pattern to get started with!  The Bavarian blanket is still on a hook and will be a long time because ...

The accidental costume coming right along......

Ok! I didn't mean to start this costume. I meant to finish my Fire costume first but...I needed to make a 'muslin' for my holiday skirt though... and I thought I would make it out of this beautiful stretch velvet fabric I got from Gail K's back in the summer... and so a costume is born!!!! Just check out the color combos on this. I'm styling it after a Sahar costume. And so now... I can go ahead with Project Holiday Outfit too... the fit of this skirt is divine! I'll be making it again and again!

The "Panama Dress"!

Here is my "Panama Dress" from fabric I bought in... yes Panama! Its actually a skirt and top but it does look like a dress. No pattern, all draped. The skirt is made up of 4 separate long triangle panels that are that are rounded at the bottom. There's ALOT of movement in the skirt. The top is a fitted band around the waist and the top bust part is only attached in the back and at the sides so the bust part makes a pretty drape and I could get the waist part super tight and fitted. I hand knit the belt out of some beautiful copper yarn I got up in Philly and attached it to the skirt. The purse is some fabric I got at the sewing expo last year and is covered in tiny black poodles. It draws up at the top and through a little black crocheted doily I made that I covered in crystals. The pattern for the purse is called Circle Purse and I can't remember the designer!!! Someone asked me where I bought this dress when I wore it out last Tues. and yes I beamed when I said ...