Skip to main content

Fabric, Crochet and a Costume!

Below is a Belly Dance costume I'm designing and sewing for a friend turned client, Nancy. At 9:00 am yesterday morning this was a dress that she brought me to turn into a costume.... by 11:00am... this is what I had.... After I cut the dress in half (the bottom half to be the skirt of course, excuse the wrinkles I didn't steam it yet) I took the top half of the dress, manipulated it, sewed it onto a bra... I left the halter beaded strap but cut out a criss cross strap on the back.. to be used for accessories. The gold part on the bra is tiny sequin flower appliques I added one by one... time consuming!!!
I've got even more done on it today but I'm at a stopping point until she gets over here so I can fit it! I have completed a choker, gauntlets, and arm band to go with it and added some beaded fringe to the bra.
By buying a clearanced out dress with so much fabric to use she's really going to save a lot of money on this costume!

In the world of Crochet... (my new found love) Here's a lovely scarf I completed!!

Close up of the lovely scarf... can you tell I'm really happy with this!!??



Working on my next project... one of those cute hats with the scarf attached... that will be trimmed in either fun fur yarn or feather yarn (if I can find some that doesn't cost to much!)
This was taken Sunday night... The Bald Man was making fun of me!!!
I have the hat complete now and one side of the scarf!



Everyone one needs a relative that sends them fabric, right?! Even though I've not seen my Great Aunt Mildred in years she sent me a LOAD of fabric through my mom who went to visit her a few weeks ago. There's some cool stuff here to play with thats for sure! Mostly knits!!!


Check it out! The 2 top right pieces are woven the rest knit!


The top row knits, bottom wovens.





The blue is a knit. The print a woven... I'm thinking a slouchy purse with it,,, maybe incorporate some macrame and make it real throw back! I do love macrame (wish I was better at it!)





Woven piece. I have enough here for a cute cropped spring jacket and skirt!



Woven piece that is screaming to be a handbag!




Thank you Aunt Mildred!!!!!




In between working on Nancy's costume, crocheting and playing with fabric I have managed to make BWOF 106 from 1/09. Yes! I love it and I'm now now making the dress version of it.
Pics very soon!!!!


Popular posts from this blog

Tunisian and Tapestry crochet on the hooks

It seems that no matter what or how many projects I have going one is always Tunisian and one is always a tapestry or fair isle type with color changes or pictures.  I love this tapestry handbag. It’s going to be The perfect bag for October!! The pattern was included in a booklet that cane with a Simply Crochet magazine from the UK. It’s eating a lot of yarn so Caron one pound yarn is perfect! Cause there’s a lot of it and it’s an easy care for acrylic. Handbags tend to get thrown around a lot so washable with all this white is super important when I was choosing a yarn.  I’ll be adding a liner too. And pockets .. I can not have a bag without inside pockets!  For oh so long I’ve wanted to try the double hook Tunisian technique. I have Lily Chins dvd on it but she’s way over my head at this point! This simple pattern is in Interweave crochet magazine fall 2018. Great pattern to get started with!  The Bavarian blanket is still on a hook and will be a long time because ...

The accidental costume coming right along......

Ok! I didn't mean to start this costume. I meant to finish my Fire costume first but...I needed to make a 'muslin' for my holiday skirt though... and I thought I would make it out of this beautiful stretch velvet fabric I got from Gail K's back in the summer... and so a costume is born!!!! Just check out the color combos on this. I'm styling it after a Sahar costume. And so now... I can go ahead with Project Holiday Outfit too... the fit of this skirt is divine! I'll be making it again and again!

The "Panama Dress"!

Here is my "Panama Dress" from fabric I bought in... yes Panama! Its actually a skirt and top but it does look like a dress. No pattern, all draped. The skirt is made up of 4 separate long triangle panels that are that are rounded at the bottom. There's ALOT of movement in the skirt. The top is a fitted band around the waist and the top bust part is only attached in the back and at the sides so the bust part makes a pretty drape and I could get the waist part super tight and fitted. I hand knit the belt out of some beautiful copper yarn I got up in Philly and attached it to the skirt. The purse is some fabric I got at the sewing expo last year and is covered in tiny black poodles. It draws up at the top and through a little black crocheted doily I made that I covered in crystals. The pattern for the purse is called Circle Purse and I can't remember the designer!!! Someone asked me where I bought this dress when I wore it out last Tues. and yes I beamed when I said ...