Skip to main content

Building confidence and working through a whole fleece

Buying a whole fleece to process is huge! Even just an average 5 pounds of fleece can yield a lot of yarn!
And because you hold the key to how and what it's processed into you can get many different yarns and projects from that one fleece.

I would have never bought a whole fleece as a beginner. It's just to much! 
But I bought sheep ... so there I was with a couple of whole fleeces! 
My first fleece came from a dairy sheep I called Bo Peep.
This was in 2013.
She was a great milking sheep with an average mid grade type white fleece. And it, like my other dairy sheep fleece did not felt. Made it very unintimidating to wash as I had been told horror stories of washing wool wrong or to rough and ending up with a big felted ball of ruined wool!

Low in lanolin and not being super fine it was an easy fleece to clean. Crimpy and strong , average length also made it a perfect for a beginner spinner like me! 
It carded super easy too! 

I hit the ground spinning with that fleece! I made so much yarn... all kinds of yarn! Simple handspun white yarn , woolen , bulky, thin.. then I learned to dye! 
So here come the colors which took so fast and easy to her wool. That boosted my confidence!
How easy it was to spin also boosted my confidence.
Previously I had tried some alpaca and angora .. a longwool , a Cormo,some cheap mystery wool roving.. all more difficult to card and to tricky to handle for me so I really felt maybe spinning wasn't my thing for a little while.

I'm so thankful I bought Bo peep and kept her fleece because with it and all it's ordinary , simple features I might not have continued on that branch of my fiber arts journey. And never had the confidence to explore with it. 


So I tried many different things..
Then I tried my hand at art yarn .. thick n' thins, bright colors with sparkly accents, different plies to get different results!
Feathers ! Beads!! What absolute creative freedom fun!

Her fleece was exactly what I needed as a beginner spinner and dyer. 
I made so many items with that yarn.. hats, gloves, boot cuffs and leg warmers, head bands, purses... I did make 1 scarf but since her fleece wasn't super soft I like wearing it around my jacket collar. I sold a lot of projects from that fleece too.. 
all things made with 100% bo Peep fleece
A whole fleece , depending on the size, as I said can really take a long time to work through. I think her fleece was right around 6 pounds skirted heavy. She was a fairly large sheep. 
That was 5 years ago. I worked that fleece fairly solid that first year then on and off .. blend a little .. dye a little over the next few years.
I still had a pound left that I recently sent to the mill to be blended with alpaca for some fast spinning roving! 
Give it a new look and texture And hopefully improve the handle of alpaca for me .. which I still have a hard time spinning unless it's blended with something. Someday I will spin pure alpaca beautiful as the local alpaca lady here..I Always need a new challenge anyways!

I no longer prefer to have big whole fleeces to work through by hand. I like using a small mill since I have quite a few to process and offer for sale in different forms.
I keep out maybe a pound or 2 if it's good for lock spinning or if it's something like the thel I want separated from the icie fleece. 
That Bo Peep fleece was the best thing though... I love the things I kept for myself. Makes me smile whenever I put something on from it! 
me and Bo Peep

Although I will offer most of the blended roving for sale.. I'll definitely be spinning some up myself! 

Being able to have the opportunity to work with fiber is truly a blessing and I love it 😍 

Popular posts from this blog

Lots of new stuff!!

I LOVE this bag.... Its another Ellen Medlock pattern. Its called the Karma Bag! My mom and I both took a class at the sewing expo 2 yrs ago and made one... but I didn't like the fabric they gave us so I gave it away.... and after 2 yrs I finally get around to making another one... In fabric I do like! This is vintage fabric from the attic of my great aunt in Nashville.... Mildred. The inside is lined with some adorable Scottie dog fabric I bought at Jo anns .... left over scraps from a wrap I made my mom for Christmas one year. The EXTRA awesome thing about this bag is its exchangeable because of the way the hardware is made.... just twist off two of the little tips... slide this purse off another on... twist caps on and you're off with a different bag! Now I gotta make some different bags to go with this! Which should help my ailing purse wardrobe.... cause I really love this bag! My B-day was last month (big 36!) and this is what mom gave me.... An adorable and much ne

Just alittle hoop action

I think I'm getting better! hmmmm... I've got enough bruises from the hoop I should be better! I still can't hoop on my chest for long... and there's a good reason for that! lol!!!

New Donkey milk soap!

A new soap coming soon! This is Rosemary Lavender Donkey milk soap! Made with therapeutic essential oils, and premium ingredients like grape seed and sunflower oil! Purifying Clay and minerals give added benefits and pretty colors! I’ve been making homemade soap for several years now. I’ve always used the cold process method but after much research decided to try the hot process method. Mostly because with it I don’t add my milk until the end after the soap is cooling, the ph is balanced and the chemical lye is gone. Leaving behind correct ph pure soap.. which I then add my precious and highly skin beneficial donkey milk too. Looking forward to trying it and seeing it there is a significant difference!!  On the crochet front.. I’m pretty much crocheting everyday again now that I’ve decluttered all that fiber!!  So now I’m trying to get a handle on my supplies and organize.  I love being organized!! I’m not one of those people who can stash yarn in plastic tubs or under the bed! I’ll fo