Skip to main content

Copy RTW Process Pictures

Several of you guys have asked me to take pics when I copy RTW... And so I did...months ago!

Sorry I'm just now posting them! My instructions to go with the pics are probably going to be 'lacking'. Hopefully you'll get the ideal of what I'm doing from the pictures though. I find writing instructions very hard... maybe I should do a video and post it on youtube!

After much reading and researching different ways to copy RTW and make patterns this is the easiest I've come up with... and gets me the best fit. So far I have used this method to copy a pair of rtw yoga pants, 3 different pairs of jeans and a long sleeve knit top.



I use cheap non fusible interfacing for my pattern. Its strong and sheer.


First I turn the garment inside out. For pants I put one pant leg inside the other. It stays flatter, makes it easier to pin down.


I do this on a carpeted floor so when its all smoothed out and flat I stick the pin straight down into the garment and in the floor. This holds everything nice and tight!




Everything nice and secure here,,, ready to trace!

I trace with measuring gauge in hand to mark my seam allowances as I go









After all traced I measure different fit 'points' and compare them to the measurements of the rtw garment and "true up" my lines.







With the waist band (and yoke) I push pins down all around the edges... tracing the tops and sides first.
Then underneath along the pin lines.

This is the hardest part for me... measure and do the 'true up' thing again! With the last pair of jeans I made I used the hinge method,,, aka. seam method to get a good fitting waist band.


I measure the fly pieces and make them according to the measurements.


I put my fly zippers in using the Easy Islander Zipper video... its the best ... and easiest method I've ever seen!




I lay the interfacing on top of the pants and trace along the fly top stitching. This makes my fly template.








I lay the cut out pattern piece on top of the pants to mark where the pockets go







Lay Pattern/interfacing on top of pants to trace you back pocket pattern piece





Here are all the pattern pieces from this pair of jeans. Its more of a jean-trouser pattern.
There was no yoke and 'pouch pockets' instead of traditional jean pockets. So it was a bit easier to copy that the other 2 pairs of jeans I've done...



Hope this helps some of you who have wrote me wanting these pics of my copy process.. Sorry for the wait!!! And sorry I'm not better at describing the process!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Lots of new stuff!!

I LOVE this bag.... Its another Ellen Medlock pattern. Its called the Karma Bag! My mom and I both took a class at the sewing expo 2 yrs ago and made one... but I didn't like the fabric they gave us so I gave it away.... and after 2 yrs I finally get around to making another one... In fabric I do like! This is vintage fabric from the attic of my great aunt in Nashville.... Mildred. The inside is lined with some adorable Scottie dog fabric I bought at Jo anns .... left over scraps from a wrap I made my mom for Christmas one year. The EXTRA awesome thing about this bag is its exchangeable because of the way the hardware is made.... just twist off two of the little tips... slide this purse off another on... twist caps on and you're off with a different bag! Now I gotta make some different bags to go with this! Which should help my ailing purse wardrobe.... cause I really love this bag! My B-day was last month (big 36!) and this is what mom gave me.... An adorable and much ne

Just alittle hoop action

I think I'm getting better! hmmmm... I've got enough bruises from the hoop I should be better! I still can't hoop on my chest for long... and there's a good reason for that! lol!!!

New Donkey milk soap!

A new soap coming soon! This is Rosemary Lavender Donkey milk soap! Made with therapeutic essential oils, and premium ingredients like grape seed and sunflower oil! Purifying Clay and minerals give added benefits and pretty colors! I’ve been making homemade soap for several years now. I’ve always used the cold process method but after much research decided to try the hot process method. Mostly because with it I don’t add my milk until the end after the soap is cooling, the ph is balanced and the chemical lye is gone. Leaving behind correct ph pure soap.. which I then add my precious and highly skin beneficial donkey milk too. Looking forward to trying it and seeing it there is a significant difference!!  On the crochet front.. I’m pretty much crocheting everyday again now that I’ve decluttered all that fiber!!  So now I’m trying to get a handle on my supplies and organize.  I love being organized!! I’m not one of those people who can stash yarn in plastic tubs or under the bed! I’ll fo